Oral cancer screening is an important tool in being proactive about not only your oral health, but your overall wellness. At Smile Design Studio, we are dedicated to more than just your smile. We strive to take a holistic approach to your dental care in order to maintain your overall wellbeing.
What is an Oral Cancer Screening?
An oral cancer screening is a screening done during your regular, routine exam. The goal is to target any problems at the earliest stage possible. Just like other types of cancer, oral cancer can be life-threatening. By getting a regular oral cancer screening, we can diagnose early and treat any problems that may appear in the screening.
How is it Done?
Our screening process is a simple, quick screening performed by our trained team that involves an examination of the whole oral cavity — not just your teeth. This is done to detect precancerous and cancerous conditions.
The screening test will illuminate the mouth, which will help us identify any areas that may be of concern. After a visual examination of your mouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat. By checking the tissue, we can feel for any abnormalities.
If necessary, we will refer you to a specialist for a further evaluation. You are the most important factor when it comes to getting an early diagnosis of oral cancer. By getting routine screenings at our office, you can help us provide you with early treatment and a healthier life.
Signs of Trouble
- Red or white spots anywhere in the oral cavity
- Sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Tenderness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving the jaw or tongue
While all of these symptoms can be signs of oral cancer or precancerous conditions, they may also be symptoms caused by less serious problems. It is important to take them seriously and visit our office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. We have the skills and tools to ensure that any warning signs or oral problems are identified early.
Is There Anything I Can do to Prevent Oral Cancer?
Prevention is one of the best forms of taking a proactive approach to maintaining your oral health. There are many things you can do in addition to getting an oral cancer screening during your regular checkups at our office.
The best way to participate in prevention of oral cancer (and other oral conditions) is to do the following:
- Avoid all tobacco products.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun.
- Always wear UV-A/B blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin and lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask your dentist to perform an oral exam.
- Remember, early detection of oral cancer can improve the chances of a successful treatment.
Real Patient Reviews
Best office I’ve ever been too! The staff is friendly and helpful. Dr. Falco is the best. He takes the time to explain things and explain your options. I never feel rushed or like I’m just a number. Everyone is so caring and genuine.
I highly recommend Dr. Falco and his amazing staff!! Our entire family visits regularly for cleanings and braces for the kids. We love being able to go to the same dentist for all our dental needs! Schedule today…you will be glad you did!!!
Dr Falco and staff have been taking care of my families dental services for 15 years. An honest and talented doctor for any type of dental needs including cosmetics. He’s the plastic surgeon of dental and cosmetic work. Thanks from our family!!!